CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: Alice Lehmen Sunday Prize
Submissions Due: April 5, 2017
Reception and Jury: April 6, 2017
Open to all Associate AIA members and other non-licensed employees of the AIA Richmond Chapter member firms. Entrants are limited to those with less than 10 years working experience. Previous winners will be eligible within the same category. Work should be recent and not include school projects.
Entries in each category as follows:
Sketches: Freehand only
Presentation and Technology [manually drawn, computer generated or physical models].
Construction Documents [manually drawn or computer generated. May be a series of 5 drawings].
Entries are judged on the ability to clearly and efficiently communicate the information of the document to the user.
- Maximum number of entries from each participant is limited to two per category.
- Each entry shall be submitted in electronic format in PDF files not exceeding 8 MB. Each submittal shall contain two PDF files, the first file containing the participant’s name, drawing title, company/organization, principal supervisor, business telephone and signature. The second file containing the drawing attached in a manner which conceals/deletes any firm or individual’s identification and states the category of entry in the file name.
- Entries which are not the product of a single individual must include the names of all individuals responsible for their production.
Honors and Merit Awards will be presented in each category. Presentations will include a certificate and cash prize of $100 for each Honor and $50 for each Merit. The Awards presentation ceremony will be held during the Chapter Honors and Awards program on April 13, 2017.
ARTISTS RECEPTION / DUE DATE
Entries are due by Wednesday April 5, 2017. The Artists Reception and Jury of the submissions will be at Sam Miller’s Restaurant at 1210 East Cary Street, Richmond, Virginia from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. The Jury will begin at 6 p.m. and may be viewed by submitters. Food and drinks will be served! Submissions may be sent by email to Lshadbolt@comarchs.com.
Contact Lee Shadbolt, AIA at (804) 640-5994 or Lshadbolt@comarchs.com.
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: AIA Richmond Honors
AIA Richmond invites your participation in the 2017 Honors and Awards Program. The Honors & Awards Committee encourages every chapter member to enter as many projects as possible.
Submissions are due March 17, 2017.
ELIGIBILITY: BUILT AND UNBUILT WORK
All entries must be the work of AIA Richmond Chapter members (either AIA members or Associate AIA members) who are currently members in good standing of the Chapter. Any entry that is not the sole design responsibility of the submitter must be properly credited. Associate members must clearly identify their role in the design process, as they cannot be listed as the “architect of record.”
Location of the projects is not restricted, but any built works submitted for consideration must have been completed after January 1, 2012. Un-built works of which design work was completed after January 1, 2012 will be considered for recognition as well. Un-built projects must be work commissioned by a client, as opposed to hypothetical works completed in the mode of research or academic training. Projects that have previously won awards, other than from AIA Richmond, are eligible for recognition.
This program is not a competition but recognition of projects that a jury appointed by the Chapter Honors Committee deems to have achieved excellence in architecture; therefore, there are no submittal classifications, number of awards to be given, nor detailed criteria in the Chapter’s intent. The jurors are free to move in any direction and confer as many awards as they see fit. The firm or organization of record and owner of each winning entry will each receive a certificate of the award. Awards will be presented at the AIA Richmond Honors and Awards Program, which will be Thursday, April 13, 2017.
FORMAT OF SUBMISSION
All materials must be submitted in electronic format. All electronic materials shall be submitted in PDF files in an 8 1/2″ x 11″ page size format and not exceeding 8 MB. Each submittal shall contain two PDF documents with the following, in the order given below:
First PDF (File Name to be “Project File”)
- A concise, one page project information sheet stating project name, project address, date of completion, building type, owner’s program, site description including any other significant physical parameters, a factual statement of design, project budget, and final cost.
- 8 1/2″ x 11″ drawings (which may be freehand) showing:
- Site Plan
- Floor Plans of all Principal Floors
- Building Sections and/or details (where informative)
- 8 1/2″ x 11″ photographs showing all exterior elevations which may reasonably be seen by a viewer circumnavigating the project and interior photos where appropriate.
Second PDF (File Name to be “Concealed Identification File”)
- Shall contain a 8 1/2″ x 11″ sheet listing the following information:
- Name of project
- Name, address, email address and phone number of entering architect
- Names of project team responsible for the design and name(s) of firm(s) or organization(s) of record
- Names identifying each discipline and address of all project consultant
- Name, address, email address of general contractor or builder
- Name, address, email address and phone number of owner and their representative
- Name of photographer (required for publication)
NOTE: No indication of the aforementioned information may appear on any of the submitted materials in the first PDF (“Project File”) and should only be identified in the second PDF file “Concealed Identification File”.
Format for the electronic submission shall be in electronic PDF format (to be compatible with PC) and submitted on a non-encrypted and non-write projected compact disc or thumb drive.
- Provide an electronic version of all submission text in a separate file in MS Word format, including a separate “Concealed Identification File”, and photographs in individual JPG format for the Chapter’s use in publication.
- The MS Word submission shall be an exact duplicate of all text contained in the hard copy submission.
- The JPG submission shall be of the individual image files contained in the hardcopy submission at a minimum file size of 6″x6″, and shall contain duplicate files of all images at 300 DPI each.
FEES / DATES / INQUIRIES
Each entrant shall provide a registration fee of $50.00 for each project to be entered, payable to Richmond Chapter, AIA, forwarded with the entry form below and received by the Chapter, at the address listed below no later than Friday, March 17, 2017. This fee, which provides partial support for the Chapter’s Awards Program, is non-refundable. The official entry form shall be sent to the Design Awards Committee, c/o AIA Richmond, and shall contain the check for registration fee, name and address of the architect submitting the entry, signature of the entrant, date, project name to be submitted, and firm or organization name.
All completed electronic submission files must be received by the Chapter, at the address listed below, no later than 5:00 pm, Friday March 17, 2017. Entries received after that hour and date will not be eligible for consideration.
Award recipients will be featured in the Chapter’s quarterly newsletter, on the Chapter website, and on the Institute’s national web e-mail to all AIA members, nationwide.
Please forward all fees, entries and inquiries to:
AIA Richmond Design Awards Committee
c/o AIA Richmond, Attn: David King
The Branch Museum
2501 Monument Avenue
Richmond, VA 23220
By submitting a project, each entrant unequivocally clears the project and all images and content submitted for reproduction and publication with all copyright permission to AIA Richmond, a chapter of the American Institute of Architects, for use in promotion and public awareness of the Honors and Awards Program. Owner’s restrictions, if any, must be noted on the information sheet.
Honors & Awards entry forms, fees, with submissions are due on March 17, 2017.
Awards Program Date: April 13, 2017. Venue to be announced at a later date.